Medical information  
 
 Terms Glossary
 First Aid
 Diet Information
 Preventive Medicine
 Immunization Schedules
 Biological Warfare Effects & Treatment
 Men's health
 Infertility
 Atlas of skin diseases
 Drug encyclopedia
 Atlas of human anatomy
 Alternative medicine
 Baby's developmental milestones
 Medical laboratory tests
 Smoking and health effect
 Advice for travelers
 Hearth attack: risk chart
 Diabetes: risk chart
 Cancer: risk chart
 Alcoholism and treatment
 Topic of the Week
 Medical Topic
 Latest News
 News Archive
 
  » First Aid  »  Poison Ivy
Poison ivy, poison sumac, and poison oak are the most common plants producing an allergic contact dermatitis. The best way to prevent a reaction is to recognize and avoid all contact with their leaves.

SYMPTOMS
  • Skin reaction varies in severity; there may be generalized swelling, rash, itching, and blisters.
  • Some people may suffer headache, fever, and malaise.
TREATMENT
  • As soon as possible after contact, whether or not a reaction occurs, remove all contaminated clothing, including shoes, and wash all exposed areas thoroughly with strong soap. Apply alcohol and rinse copiously with water.
  • If a rash appears, apply calamine or other soothing lotion. Corticosteroid creams or lotions also ease itching and swelling, but follow label instructions. Apply these creams or lotions only to limited areas and do not use them on young children. If you have questions about their application, consult your doctor.
  • Cover weeping or oozing blisters with sterile gauze moistened in a mild solution of 1 tablespoon of baking soda in 1 quart of water.
  • If fever or severe symptoms such as widespread rash or involvement of mouth, eyes or genitals occur, see a doctor. Your doctor may treat the reaction with other medicines, such as prednisone.
  • As an alternative therapy, herbalists recommend covering poison ivy blisters with a bandage soaked with tea made from equal portions of white oak bark and lime water.